Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Failure" or "Iterative Design?"

For our blogger assignment I have been following K.G. Schneider over at Free Range Librarian, and her post today titled "In Praise of Succeeding" is very timely considering our recent discussions of assessment.  And, I happen to really love some of the things she says, so I thought I'd pass it along.  Schneider's article re-frames the discussion of being comfortable with "failure" and instead suggests we should be more concerned learning to accept and build on negative reviews, rather than quitting too early (or at least I hope I am interpreting this correctly).  I think some of these same issues are important to consider when we are issuing feedback - whether it is to students or colleagues.  Is there a way we can frame feedback to be truly "constructive criticism?"  How can we prepare ourselves and students to become better at receiving such feedback?
And for those of you who do not want to read the entire thing, my favorite paragraph from the original article:
"Patience, grasshopper. “Not now” is not the same as “no.”  Sometimes a great idea needs to wait its turn; sometimes it is simply precocious, and in a year will be timely. Other times, a great idea has lost its prime moment and needs to be left behind on the altar of things that could have happened in an alternate universe. You’re all the better for having had a great idea; there will be many more."

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are following her! She makes a great point about failure. The left-brained part of us that loves cataloguing and order gets verrrrrrry uncomfortable when things don't go as anticipated. My colleague Jeff Stanzler in the School of Ed has reminded me that we shouldn't push those moments away: we should push *through* them. He's a wise man.

    ReplyDelete