Monday, April 4, 2011

Class Reflections - 04/04/2011

Just a quick response to this evening's class!

Twitter Debrief

It was interesting to hear various perspectives on Twitter, both from novice users and more seasoned vets.  While I was not exactly positive in my previous Twitter review, I can appreciate many of the positive features my classmates pointed out.  It does seem like a great way to have many different resources all in one place - I just think it will take some more time for me to follow the "right" people and organizations, as well as to get my feeds organized the way I like.  I also need to develop more confidence in interacting with the people on Twitter I do not know in person; being a lurker for a while longer may be good for me.  Alas, this will likely placed on my list of things to do after the semester is over as I now go back to my self-imposed social networking hiatus.

Webinars

I do not have too much to say about webinars at this point other than we are all deep into planning-mode. As is always the case with new technology, I am a little apprehensive about pulling it off, but I am also very excited to have one more skill to which I can say, "Why yes, I have done that!" during an internship or job interview.  I think having these first-time experiences in a relatively safe, classroom environment is extremely beneficial, and I am always pleasantly surprised with the end result.  I am concerned about making it to five other webinars - there are enough sessions scheduled at times which fit with my other work/class/life obligations, hopefully there will be a space for me in each!

On that note, I also hope you can join my group on Wednesday, April 6th at 7pm for "From Let-Go to In-The-Know: Libraries Helping the Unemployed."  The link will be up on the wiki! 

2 comments:

  1. Twitter was not my favorite either, primarily because you have to sort through so much information to get to the useful stuff. However, it does seem as though having different Twitter feeds would make this more manageable. Good luck with your webinar! We are still planning ours, too. And I agree with you that is will be a very useful skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does take a while and effort to build a good Twitter base. I'm pretty select and have many professional followings but I still don't check it all that often. While the webinar is kind of daunting, but then again what isn't this term, you make a great point--we'll all have direct experience with all of these services and many tools to talk about and be prepared. I like the practical aspects of this course and it is a helpful environment to try all this out in.

    ReplyDelete