Monday, January 31, 2011

ACRL Insider "Member of the Week"

This is mostly tangential to the purpose of this blog and to the course, but here it is anyway...

I subscribe to the ACRL Insider via Google Reader, and recently I have been paying more attention to their "Member of the Week" feature... perhaps partially due to our discussions in SI643 and grappling with what it means to be a "professionally practicing" librarian in the 21st century (see, there is a connection!).  I find it really interesting to read a little bit about each person, their background, and their views on academic librarianship.  Also, they have recently profiled some librarians with whom I share many values, goals, and ideas related to academic librarianship.  Of course, as humans we're naturally inclined to seek and believe information that is congruent with our own opinions and mental models (isn't social psychology fun?), but I also find it genuinely reassuring that there are current professionals whose views jive with my own.  As in, sometimes when I start questioning why on earth I am inflicting grad school on myself, I need that jolt of "Oh ya, that's why!"  And I've found these little snippets of real librarians, actually doing what I want to do and saying what I want to say, to be very motivating.

Oh, and the librarian featured this week is an instructional librarian... which makes two connections to SI643! 

No comments:

Post a Comment