Monday, March 14, 2011

Class Reflection 03/14/2011 - Workshops and HCOD

Class tonight seemed more jam-packed with activity than usual, and I think my brain is still catching up a bit.  As always, lots of interesting discussion happening, which naturally leads to plenty of material on which to reflect.
  • It was helpful to talk a little bit in class about the different parts of a workshop.  In my mind, the word "workshop" has the connotation of learning a tangible skill or making a product, and the class discussion helped show how it can be more like an idea-based seminar.  I guess maybe using the word "class" is too general, but that is how I am conceptualizing it now.  Hopefully that is not an incorrect understanding.
  • Considering how well people did with the book clubs last week, I am interested to see what everyone comes up with for workshops and I look forward to learning about some new, hot topics in the library world!
  • I wish we had more time for small group discussions about the HCOD issue.  But I know we wanted to leave ample time for our guest speaker, and there is only so much we can pack into one, three-hour class.
  • I really appreciated Bobbi Newman taking the time to speak with us via the webinar!  So far I have not been disappointed with the in-class librarian presentations at SI, and it was great to get a non-UM or non-Ann Arbor perspective, too.
  • The legal aspects of an HCOD boycott is not something I had considered before tonight, and I am glad that someone mentioned it in class.  I think one of the issues mentioned was that ALA could not itself legally promote a boycott, and I would be interested in learning more about why that is and how that could related to upholding the code of ethics - how does the governing body live up to its own ethics if it is legally limited?  Does it do this through the individual actions of its members, without official coordination?  How do we speak collectively as a profession if not through this type of governing body?

Happy Pi Day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Pi Day to you! We can always come back to HCOD later this term. We probably haven't heard the last of it. We may need a bit of time to reframe our thoughts after Bobbi gave us a balanced view we hadn't all thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The workshop will be an interesting experience. Although I will say that so far all these assignments aimed at teaching others have not been half as bad as I thought they would be. So after tonight's explanation of the workshop, I am not so apprehensive about it. I also really enjoy the in-class librarian presentations. You also bring up an interesting question about how effectively ALA can live up to its Code of Ethics if it is legally limited. I'm not sure how I would respond to that question, but it does provide food thought... Because as an organization, ALA would be more effective in acting collectively.

    ReplyDelete