Friday, March 18, 2011

Week 9 - Workshops and "Information Hippies"

Workshop Planning
Since there are no readings this week, my energy has been focused on preparing for Monday's workshop.  My workshop partner and I will be presenting on QR codes and their uses in academic libraries.  I was a little apprehensive about planning and implementing a workshop in just one week, but so far I think everything is going well.  The biggest obstacle was simply choosing a topic that could be effectively covered given limited time for research and the short, 20-minute presentation requirement.  This was solved within about five minute of brainstorming, and it has been pretty smooth since then!  My only remaining concern has been balancing our instructional methods.  That is, I am very comfortable giving basic, "I talk and you listen" presentations, but that is not necessarily the best method of delivery for the entirety of a workshop.  We've been working hard to strike a balance between this type of lecture and more "participant involvement" opportunities, so I am interested to see how our workshop turns out.  

Although reactions and levels of interest have been mixed when I discuss our workshop topic with other people, I have really enjoyed learning about a different example of using technology to provide point-of-need service to library patrons.

"Forward-Thinking Librarian"
In addition to planning the workshop for class, I also attended the "A Day in the Life of a Forward-Thinking Librarian" event, hosted by ALA@SI.  An amazing panel of library professionals presented ideas about what it means to be a "forward-thinking" librarian, the future of libraries, and how they think graduate students should be preparing for challenges the profession is facing.  I wish I had been taking notes because there were some great ideas presented by each of the four panelists.  One idea that stuck with me the most was that of maintaining a sense of possibility.  That is, yes, library budgets are dwindling and it is easy to mourn what has been lost; however, the new challenge is to consider the possibilities of what libraries can do and what libraries can become given current realities.  I think this makes it a scary but exciting time to enter the field - recent changes in the professional landscape mean that no one has the right answer, leaving us (as students and new professionals) with a great chance to make an impact and explore whatever new possibilities we can conceive.  Once again, it is hearing these kinds of words from current professionals that reminds me I have chosen an exciting and challenging career path!  

[As an added bonus, my favorite quote from the panel - "... we're all information hippies - we went to library school!"]

5 comments:

  1. QR codes in libraries will be an interesting topic. Can't wait to read next week how it turned out. They are something I'm still not familiar enough with so I'm sure the group will enjoy learning more about them and their application in libraries. Also, glad you enjoyed the panel--there is a recording that ALA@SI is working on getting together and we'll let everyone know when and where it is up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear there's a recording of the panel, because I missed it!

    Hopefully, having no readings this week gave you some breathing time to think about your presentation and what formats to use. Also, the class vote to keep the same partner and (more or less) the same groups means some interesting thinking to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the panel as well - they definitely put together a great group. I thought it was interesting that all of them had such differing perspectives on the library world, but it all boiled down to a lot of the same advice.

    P.S. In addition to the "information hippies" comment I also appreciated "put a bird on it". If you're not familiar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XM3vWJmpfo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you said about none of us having the right answer so it's our chance to explore. I think it's a powerful quote that we should remember as we continue with and finish school, and then into our real life jobs as well.

    ReplyDelete