Monday, March 28, 2011

Class Reflections 03/28/2011 - DPLA and Embedded Librarians

Tonight's class focused primarily around two discussions - one with Paul Courant regarding a Digital Public Library of America, and one with our cohort (and class-at-large) about embedded librarianship.

Paul Courant and DPLA

After tonight, I finally feel like I understand issues surrounding "orphan" works.  I had heard previously that these items, which are still protected under copyright but whose copyright holders are unknown, are one of the big hurdles digitization projects must overcome but I never really understood why.  Now, it makes much more sense to me - if the copyright holder cannot be identified, then there is no way to get consent for digitization, period.  I am not sure why I did not understand this previously but tonight it was an "aha" moment for sure.

Also, the quote "public library collections exist to be read; academic library collections are to be known," was particularly interesting to me.  If we conceptualize library collections in these ways, I think it implies not only that different libraries have different priorities in discussions about digitization projects, but also that we might not necessarily be able to speak as one "librarian voice."  What does this mean for "big L" Librarianship and our power as a profession?

Embedded Librarianship

"What does embedded librarianship look like in 'my specialization?'"  
This is something I have been struggling with a bit when considering the traditional model of an "embedded" academic librarian as being physically located within the department they serve.  Looking into my career crystal ball,I see myself more likely at a small college library, which I am guessing will have neither the demand for nor the resources for such a model.  I think, however, there is some value in expanding the definition to include other ways in which a librarian "leaves" the library (either physically or virtually) and "embedds" themselves in their community.  For instance, I could see holding office hours or research consultations outside of the library, being involved on the course management sites, monitoring class discussions (e.g., via Skype or Twitter), etc. in my future career.


Looking forward to seeing what everyone cooks up for webinars!


No comments:

Post a Comment